1/14/10

haiti we remember you

here is a poem from stacie, on this inspiring blog skinned knees.wings.blueprints.:


Haiti, I remember you.

They call this an earthquake

But I remember you.

How we paralyzed your rebellions

Forced you to pay twenty-one billion dollars to France

For reclaiming your own freedom.

Haiti, how many ways you have paid for us.

And now, when your buildings crumble as the earth beneath you ruptures

Violently once again

Our reporters talk of your construction standards

Your dire poverty

Your “proclivity” for rebellion

Removes us from your history.

But I remember you Haiti.

I remember the Arawak people

The sugar cane fields

The Code Noir

Touissant in prison.

How it took 22 years and several failed attempts at re-enslavement

For France to recognize your independence

How it took the U.S. thirty-seven more, and later

with it’s own turn to master you, a nineteen year occupation

to control your people and pillage your resources

How, unsatiated, we backed Trujillo as he massacred your peasants

Helped install Papa Doc Duvalier and trained his notorious army

Overthrew Aristide not once, but twice. And now,

We will offer you “Aid”

Benevolently and bereft of history.

But I remember you, Haiti.

I remember the fault line

where the Spanish, French, and U.S. plates collide

For your bodies, your sugar, your coffee, your submission.

And I know this is no more natural than Katrina

because I live here on the San Andreas

and they say the big one is coming.

But Haiti, you are the Maldives, and I

Am the Netherlands.

And you are still paying debt to my banks

While I harbor your war criminals.

It is not much Haiti, but I remember.


-Stacie Szmonko


No comments: