10/16/09

Justice Denies Interracial Couple Marriage License

Evenin friends,

Just thought you should know that a justice of the peace in Louisianna denied an interracial couple a marriage license because of the potential difficulties their kids would face. He explains that he has "piles" of black friends and that personal racism is not present in this situation.

There are many articles on it. Here is one.

He says that he has denied four couples licenses in the past and always checks to see if he is speaking with an interracial couple before deciding to proceed. Its been a few years since I was very invested in interracial rights issues and up on the all of the current literature on interracial issues.

IT IS SO PAINFUL TO REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO TALK ABOUT RACISM NOW WHEN THE LAWS ARE IN PLACE. IT IS SO EASY TO WRITE HIM OFF AS A RACIST SOUTHERN JUDGE. IT IS SO much more than that.


I wish i could figure out what our sit ins need to look like. I know they need to look different. I know what our demands are. I just wish i knew how to demand them. I'm sick of asking. I'm sick of pretending like "non-violent protest" means that there isn't violence around us all the time.

I am sick of this.

I am sick over this.

No comments: